Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Let's get to know: Lucky 13 lacquer


Today I have three polishes to share from the Firefly inspired "Ballad of the Serenity" collection!

"You can't take the sky from me", "Big city dandy" and "A leaf on the wind"

I think it is ironic how much love people have for Firefly now, a decade too late. Despite it's poor ratings while airing, most people who watch the show now fall head over heels with it. I am no different! I'm a sucker for sci-fi cross genres, and it doesn't get much better than a space - outlaw drama with a good dose of humor - and what a cast! I love the way Kyoti has brought the show to life in her polishes. I wish I had more to show you, but as of right now I only have the three. I was actually very lucky to get to borrow "You can't take the sky from me" from a dear friend who has agreed to a sort of polish "Foster home" situation to let me review a broader range of indies. Kate, if you are reading this, you rock!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 


So first off, "You can't take the sky from me". This polish was inspired by the ship Serenity herself, and features gunmetal grey hexes of various sizes in a gorgeous grey crelly base. No undies necessary, this little lady manages to be opaque with 3 coats, and the glitter is happy to come out without much digging. I love the depth it has, and cleanup was super easy for such a concentration of glitter. This polish really makes me think of Serenity, and I have to say this is my favorite - unfortunately this is also Kate's polish! I guess I will have to pick one up for myself sometime soon. 




Or at least until the series ends...

Next up, "Big city dandy". This polish is named after Simon, an uptight, sensitive medical student who catches a ride on Serenity - along with a pretty big secret. While he can be more trouble than he is worth, he becomes a valuable asset to the crew, and a great character ultimately, if only for the comedic relief his interactions provide.


Not sure Serenity is the right place for sensitive city folk such as yourself, Doc!

This polish is described as "... a black jelly base with indigo and purple microshimmer." I have a lot of black polishes, but this one manages to hold it's own with a beautiful complexity. In the light it really comes to life, and I love the way it applies without flooding. 





Last (but not least) is "A leaf on the wind". This beautful sky blue polish is based on everyone's favorite pilot, Wash.



When kate first sent me "You can't take the sky from me", I thought that the composition of it looked very similar to this polish. Hex glitter in a cream base, how much different can you really make that? Well I was wrong. "A leaf on the wind" does have green hex, but also has a well balanced amount of smaller silver glitter that really creates a gorgeous effect. I think this looks like leaves in the wind on a beautiful blue sky day! Once again application was perfect, and the glitter pretty much flew from brush to nail. 3 coats with no undies is opaque, and a fast dry topcoat really pulls the whole thing together, smoothing out easily with one layer. Unfortunately I was unable to reswatch this today, so I share my older pics I took of it - the one glitter under it in the one picture is Darling Diva "Lovely Lilacs", which gives you an idea of how sheer this crelly is. I really loved the combination at the time, maybe I should revisit it!


If you are interested in picking up any of these for yourself, you can find the Lucky 13 store here. I will also individal links to the polishes below! You should go friend Kyoti on facebook, she is a cool cat and updates often.Just wait until you see her next collection... here's a hint, it takes place in middle earth! Thanks for reading, please follow me or come back soon for more reviews!




No comments:

Post a Comment