Friday, August 9, 2013

First (Flakie) Franken~Friday!!


Today I have two flakie frankens to show you!





Awwwww yeaaaaah!

As some of you may know, I hope to someday create my own line of indie polish. I still have a long way to go, but I figured it would be good to get comfortable with the way different polishes work together, and there is no better way to do that than to franken! I have dabbled before but recently something happened that ignited the spark of inspiration and led me to create one of my favorite polishes. A friend had sent me a few of her top choice indies to review here on my blog.(You can expect so see them soon - and they are pretty amazing!) Included were a few empty polish bottles and a cheap purple shimmer called "I don't drink cheap wine", by spoiled. I only gave it a cursory glance when I was unpacking everything, but when I picked it up to put it in my extras box, I saw something magical inside it. I saw the beginning of an Nfu-oh #51 dupe.




Unfortunately I did not have a jelly blue in the color I wanted to blend it with, so I used Essie "Butler, please". My one gripe is that this polish dries with a slightly matte finish because of that - When I revisit this formula I hope to use a clear blue to suspend the purple shimmer instead. I was hesitant to use my color club snowflakes, but I had faith that the finished product would be worth the sacrifice. 



And it totally was!! I LOVE this polish. A rich plum with dancing flakies, it applies smoothly and only needs two coats for coverage. It does dry slightly matte due to the Essie. I love the more vampy purples and reds, so this is perfect for me. I showed a picture to a friend and she told me that she had applied a matte top coat to her recent Nfu-oh #51 mani and it looked like this! I will have to give it a try for myself... I promise to take pics! Of course I had to give it a name related to unicorn body fluid, but most of the SFW ones have already been used! The definition of Ichor is both awesome and a little gross:

               1.Greek Mythology The rarefied fluid said to run in the veins of the gods.
               2. Pathology A watery, acrid discharge from a wound or ulcer.

We will just go with number one, eh?
If only this were real!

Side note: I used a ManGlaze franken-jug for this that I was gifted recently. It comes with two ball bearings to blend, and has a wide neck so pouring is easy. It also has a cute little label... but half of it smudged off when I was mixing the polishes. It was a terrible mess but a little acetone on a cotton ball wiped the label clean, so I was still able to write on it. It is also a bit nerve-wracking to use, since it has such a large neck. Also, it turns out I rely heavily on wiping the brush on the neck of the bottle as I pull it out, a technique I only realized I utilize when I was unable to on the franken-jug! Still, it worked well for mixing and has a unique look on my rack. If you are interested you can pick them up on Amazon, along with 18 other polishes by Manglaze!


Warning, may cause siezures!

Next we have a polish inspired by necessity. Okay, maybe more desire! A friend on Reddit managed to get her hands on Deborah Lippman "Ray of Light", a gorgeous blue jelly with flakies suspended throughout. I LOVE the look of it, but 15-20$ for one polish is unfortunately beyond my price range. I set my mind to creating something to take the sting out of being unable to get one for myself. I ran into the same issue as before, no blue jellies - but I did have a gorgeous shimmery blue! I did not get a picture of the ingredients before the bottles were used for other frankens. Sloppy of me! I plan to start writing down things as I create them so this doesn't happen again. The bottle was one of the empty ones my good friend Kate sent me - I really like the look and feel of it!




I adore this polish! A deep, shimmering blue with flakies creating a firey depth. This is 3 coats with no undies - it's a nearly opaque sheer. There is a glow to it from within, and it has a lovely depth. I think I like it even more than the pictures I have seen of DL "Ray of Light"!


This has been totally stuck in my head all day.

Want it stuck in yours? Take a trip back to 2006 with me!




I hope you enjoyed my creations! I plan on trying to make at least a new polish a week, to share on Fridays. Have you every created a polish? I would love to see or hear about your own franken babies - let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment