Monday, November 18, 2013

Mod Lacquer - Cryptid collection!



Four mysterious creatures have been sighted - on my nails! Read on to find out which mythical beasts, plus a bonus polish!



A Cryptid is described as a creature whose existance has been suggested but never proven by actual science. Despite the lack of hard evidence, people are fairly obsessed with Cryptozoology, and love to share stories about sightings of these famed beasts. As a kid I pored over my Reader's Digest "Mysteries of the Unexplained", reading with a chill up my spine about Half beast half men and strange demon like creatures. When I found out this collection by Mod Lacquer was themed around Cryptids I was very excited!

First up, one of the most popular unexplained beasts - The Sasquatch, also known as Bigfoot.


Sasquatch has a brown flecky base that glows warm in the sun. Across it's surface lays lovely golden flecks. Application was great, with two layers making it opaque. Very little effort has to be put into making sure the flakes are spread evenly - they pretty much take care of themselves! Dry time was quick with my new bottle of Seche Vite fast drying topcoat - I know some people have issues with Seche but I never have, and there is just no beating how awesomely fast it dries the whole nail!


Next up is Chupacabra, a demonoid creature rumored to kill goats, most commonly in Puerto Rico and other parts of the southern Americas.


In polish form, Chupacabra is a sheer black jelly with loads of green hex, most of them holo, floating within. It's nearly opaque with 2-3 coats depending on the thickness of the layers, and is SO deep and gorgeous. This is my favorite out of a great group of polishes! Look how squishy and wonderful it is! The holo hex fling rainbows all over the place and make me very happy. It dried quickly for a jelly, with the help of Seche Vite of course! Love Love Love.


The Loup Garou, or werewolf, is one of the more common Cryptids today. It has become commercialized by movies and books... people are fascinated with the idea of a beast within! 


Loup Garou is a clear based glitter topper with tons of red, yellow, orange and black micro bars. They stack in such a way that they give the appearance of hair - or fur! I applied 2 layers here over a layer of a prototype sent to me by Carpe Noctem Cosmetics, and I really like the way it turned out. I'm not normally a fan of bar glitter but these are small and stick well to the nail. I have worn it a whole day with no peeling up of any of the glitters, something I cannot normally say for bars. Dry time is super fast. This polish is definitely unique!


The Jersey Devil is a screaming demon like creature that is said to live in the pine barrens of New Jersey, first spoken about by the native indian tribes from the area. 


The polish is a sheer black base with medium, small and micro hex in yellows, oranges and reds. Some of the hex are holographic, reminiscent of the hex in Chupacabra but not exactly the same. This polish is a little thicker, in part due to the micro hex, but if you keep the layers thin and allow dry time between each coat it shouldnt be too difficult. I used 2 coats here, dabbing and then lightly brushing to smooth the top. Seche Vite was a big help in drying this quickly, but there was a small amount of texture left over on the surface. I didn't want to make it too thick on the nail so I did not use Glitterslayer to smooth it, but I could have easily if I wanted to - or if I had used one layer of Jersey Devil over a black base, to cut down on layers.


Mod Lacquer also sent me a mini of their LE "Breaking Mod", a sheer light blue base with beautiful white glitter of different sizes.


I applied it over "Back that A$$ up" by Pretty Bitch Polish, which is a sky blue holographic. I'll be showing that one off on it's own soon, but I knew it would make a perfect base for this Breaking Bad inspired polish. I couldn't help but whistle "Blue sky day" while swatching this! What you see is two coats dabbed over 2 coats of PB, with a layer of seche to top it all off. I really like how sheer some of the glitters are, creating a lot of layering and depth! You don't have to be on drugs to appreciate this one, but it certainly wouldn't hurt!


All of these polishes are available on the Mod Lacquer Etsy at this time, though Breaking Mod is Limited Edition. I loved getting to see the interpretation of Cryptids to polish - this is the kind of inspiration my blog was made to highlight!



 Please check out the Mod Lacquer Instagram for lots more pics of her awesome polish, or follow her on FB for updates!

Loup Garou
Chupacabra
Jersey Devil
Sasquatch

Breaking Mod

No comments:

Post a Comment