Sunday, March 2, 2014

Victoria Volainna Designs - It's been a long time!


Victoria Volainna Designs was one of the very first indie companies that let me swatch for them. We were both starting out, she in polish making and I in blogging. Almost a year later, I get to try out some new polishes from her, and see how she has grown!


It's always exciting to revisit a brand that you haven't gotten to swatch in a while, especially when it's one that helped you get off the ground. Just as my blog has leveled up since I started swatching last April, VVD has improved as well! Let's take a look at the polishes she sent me and I'll show you how.

Fans of the book and musical "Wicked" should recognize this green "skin" tone - Elphaba, better known as the Wicked Witch of the East, is intelligent, sharp and even a resistance fighter to the Anti-talking-animals movement in Oz. I love how the literature expands on the one note character from the original series, and I think it's awesome to make a polish after her character! 

Fun fact: El-Pha-Ba is the phonetic spelling of L. Frank Baum, the original author of The Wonderful Wizard of OZ!

The polish itself is a slightly metallic green with a strong shimmer. I love how bold the color is at the same time as feeling somewhat soft. This is two thin layer with a coat of Seche. It positively glows on the nail! This color will be great when it starts to warm up, it's a perfect Spring shade of green.


Next up is a metallic blurple base with scattered glitter and raspberry purple squares. Azure Dragonling has great coverage, making it easily opaque in two coats. The glitter is distributed nicely, and lays smoothly on the nail when dry. The color combo is pretty unique, but they all suit eachother... personally I like green and purple together, when done properly! 



Just in time we have Fat Tuesday, a glitter bomb in all the shades of Mardi Gras! These colors are just meant to be together, and look great. The base is a shimmery white, a great choice because it really lets the glitter take center stage while still providing a nice background. The more I look at that closeup the more I want to go down to NOLA and get my party on! Maybe I'll just settle for some King Cake... if I can find any up here, that is!


Royal Sapphire is a rich metallic blue. I recommend two coats for best coverage, but it's almost there with one. The hue is vibrant and it doesn't stain - big thumbs up all around. I think it sort of looks like the ocean with the sun scattered across it in that bottom close up! Another perfect shade for Spring.


Last but not least, Warm Chocolate. In the sun it really does make me think of rich milk chocolate melted on a hot summer day! I think the metallic touch is a good balance to how brown it is - I'm all for brown polish but I like it to have a little something extra! This is a true one coater, easy to apply and fast to dry. If you are a fan of brown polish you might want to check this out! 



If you are interested in getting any of these for yourself, you can check out the VVD Etsy! I'll link to make it easy for you. Thanks for taking the time to read today, I appreciate every one of you!


Royal Sapphire
Elphaba



No comments:

Post a Comment